Final Fantasy XIV players have long encountered the persistent issue of being unable to complete the version check . This error tends to arise whenever the game receives an update, obstructing players from progressing past the launcher. Fortunately, there are several straightforward solutions to overcome this problem and resume gameplay without much hassle.
Read also :
- The “Unable to Complete Version Check”  error in FFXIV is not indicative of corrupted game files and can be easily resolved.
- The error usually occurs after installing an update or when an update is pushed through the launcher.
- Solutions to fix the FFXIV version check error include:
- Modifying FFXIV’s boot files to force the launcher to re-check the correct version.
- Switching to a public DNS server to resolve potential network-related issues.
- Using a VPN as an alternative solution if changing the DNS doesn’t resolve the problem.
- Temporarily disabling the firewall, as it may interfere with the game’s connection.
- If none of the above solutions work, it may be a game-side issue requiring patience or waiting for official updates.
Reasons Behind FFXIV’s “Unable to Complete Version Check” Error:
The error commonly occurs during or after an update and is typically limited to these scenarios. It manifests as a dialogue box upon launching the game, preventing any further interaction. The error message reads, “Unable to Complete Version Check .” The two main causes of this error are:
- Bug in the updation process: Sometimes, the game fails to update a single line of text responsible for verifying the latest version, resulting in the error message.
- Carrier or DNS issues: Some players have reported that their internet protocols or specific carriers can cause the error due to potential mistranslations or unstable connections.
Solving the “Unable to Complete Version Check” Error:
To identify and resolve the issue effectively, follow these solutions in the suggested order until the problem is fixed. These solutions are quick and easy to implement.
1# Manually Change FFXIV’s Boot File:
If the error is caused by the launcher failing to update the version check line, this solution should rectify the issue. Ensure that the launcher is closed before attempting this fix. Follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer.
- In the address bar, enter: ‘Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV – A Realm Reborn‘ to navigate to the save folder.
- Right-click on ‘FFXIV_BOOT.cfg‘ and select ‘Open With,’ then choose Notepad to open the file.
- In Notepad, press ‘Ctrl + F‘ to search for ‘BootVersionCheckMode.‘
- Change the value in front of the setting from 0 to 1.
- Save the changes by pressing ‘Ctrl + S.‘
2#Switch to a Public DNS:
If the previous solution doesn’t resolve the version check error, try changing your DNS to a public and freely accessible server. This can help mitigate potential translation or connection issues. Here’s how:
- Search for ‘Network Adapter‘ in the taskbar and press Enter.
- Scroll to the bottom and click ‘More Network Adapter Options.‘
- Right-click on the connection in use and select Properties.
- Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4.
- Select ‘Use the following DNS server’ and enter the preferred DNS IPs:
- Google Public DNS: 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
- OpenDNS: 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Reopen the game launcher to check if the error persists. Additionally, consider testing your network connection for further assurance.
3#Use a VPN for the Version Check Error:
If changing the DNS server doesn’t resolve the issue, many players have reported success by using a VPN before launching the game. This bypasses any redirecting server issues from your ISP by appearing as if you’re connecting from a different location. Consider using one of the following VPNs:
- Tunnel Bear (Paid)
- NordVPN (Free for 3 Months)
- Windscribe (Completely Free)
After installing a VPN, select JPY as the server location and relaunch the game. It’s worth noting that the VPN connection is not required during gameplay and can be disabled once you’re in-game.
4#Turn Off Windows Firewall:
Sometimes, the Windows Firewall can interfere with FFXIV’s connection, falsely flagging secure server IPs. Temporarily disabling the firewall can help determine if it’s causing the version check error. Follow these steps:
- Search for ‘Firewall and Network Protection‘ in the taskbar and press Enter.
- Once opened, turn off the firewall for all three network types.
- Click on each network type and toggle the On button to Off.
- Reopen the launcher to check if the error persists.
5#Allow FFXIV Through Windows Firewall:
If turning off the firewall resolves the version check error, it’s advisable to re-enable it as a security measure. Add FFXIV as an exception to the firewall using the following steps:
- Repeat the steps to enable the three network types in the Firewall and Network Protection settings.
- Return to the main page of Firewall and Network Protection.
- Click on ‘Allow an app through Firewall.‘
- Click on ‘Change Settings.‘
- Select ‘Allow another app’ and browse to your FFXIV game directory.
- Choose the game’s executable file and click ‘Add,’ then ‘OK.‘
Did the Error Disappear
If none of the solutions mentioned above resolve the issue, it’s likely a server-side problem that requires patience or waiting for official updates. Keep an eye on FFXIV’s Official Twitter account for any announcements or updates. For other errors you may encounter in the game, consult relevant guides to find solutions.